Sisters Fighting for Their Lives After Wrong-Way BMW Crash That Killed Five Teenagers

Three sisters were travelling together on a journey to Dublin Airport when their family car was struck by a BMW travelling the wrong way along the M9 — a devastating collision that killed five teenage boys and left the sisters and a young boy seriously injured.
Niamh and Alma Kinsella, both in their 30s, remain in critical condition, while their younger sister, Ella Hendricken, is being treated for serious injuries following the crash near Moone, Co Kildare, shortly before 3am on August 16.
The sisters have now been pictured as their family waits anxiously for news of their recovery.
Three sisters caught in devastating collision

Niamh and Alma are understood to have been sitting in the front of the family’s Hyundai when it collided with the BMW.
Ella, who is in her 20s, and a young boy were travelling in the rear.
The family, from the Graigecullen area of Co Carlow, had reportedly been making their way towards Dublin Airport ahead of a wedding abroad when the journey turned into tragedy.
Niamh and Alma are being treated at Tallaght Hospital, where they remain in a critical condition. Ella is at St Vincent’s Hospital in serious condition, while the young boy is also receiving treatment for his injuries.
Locals have described the family as “lovely” and “quiet”.
Ella is understood to work as a social worker in Carlow, while Niamh is a PE teacher at a local school.
Five teenagers killed in the crash

The BMW was carrying five teenage boys, all of whom died in the collision.
They were identified as Jeremy O’Brien, 18, from Carlow; Alex McCarthy, 17, from Carlow; Joey Carthy, 15, from Athy, Co Kildare; Jack Kennedy, 17, also from Athy; and Kamil Pustkowski, 17, from Limerick.




The tragedy has left families and communities across the region grieving while investigators continue to establish exactly what happened before the fatal collision.
Carlow Parish Priest Fr Thomas Little said the community was praying for the injured sisters and their families.
“The families of the ones that were hurt are hoping to God that they make a speedy recovery,” he told the Irish Mirror.
He said those who lost loved ones were “bereft” and described the crash as a “horrendous accident”, while praising the response of emergency services, Gardaí and hospitals.
Questions over Garda pursuit training
The devastating crash has also reignited a wider debate over Garda pursuit training.
The Garda Representative Association (GRA) has said that no Garda officers currently have the specialist training required to legally pursue a vehicle.
Justice Minister Jim O’Callaghan has said Gardaí will receive pursuit training in the coming months. However, the GRA believes it could be well into 2027 before even a small number of officers complete the necessary training.
Garda John Joe O’Connell, who represents officers in Co Kildare, said the organisation had been raising concerns about pursuit training for as long as eight to 10 years.
He argued that officers also need legislation allowing them to intervene in dangerous situations without fearing criminal prosecution themselves.
According to Garda O’Connell, the issue has been discussed for years, but the latest tragedy has intensified calls for concrete action rather than further announcements.
Investigation into the M9 crash continues

Gardaí are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the collision.
The Garda Síochána Ombudsman, Fiosrú, is also examining Garda contact with the BMW before the crash.
Taoiseach Micheál Martin said he was “shocked and saddened” by what he described as the result of an “irresponsible and dangerous act”.
He also raised concerns about incidents involving vehicles travelling the wrong way on motorways, saying that in some cases such behaviour was being carried out “for likes on social media”.
Martin said the M9 tragedy was the second appalling road crash in a matter of days involving reckless driving on the wrong side of a motorway and warned of the danger posed to innocent road users.
As the investigation continues, the focus remains on what happened before the BMW entered the wrong side of the M9 — while two families face the devastating aftermath of a crash that claimed five young lives and left the three Kinsella sisters fighting to recover.