Body found in River Tyne during search for missing soldier Liam Potts, 22

Liam Potts was last seen heading towards Wylam from Wylam Bridge in Northumberland shortly after midnight on Saturday (August 15)(Image: Jam Press/Northumbria Police)
The search for missing soldier Liam Potts, 22, has ended in tragedy after police found a body in the River Tyne near Wylam Bridge.
Liam, who served with the Coldstream Guards, was last seen at around 12.20am on Saturday, August 15, after spending the evening with friends. He was seen heading towards Wylam from Wylam Bridge in Northumberland.
Police said formal identification has not yet taken place, but Liam’s next of kin have been informed and are being supported by specially trained officers.
Body discovered near Wylam Bridge

Liam had not returned home following a night out with friends.(Image: Jam Press)
Extensive searches had been carried out since Liam was reported missing.
On Tuesday, police confirmed that a body had been recovered from the River Tyne close to Wylam Bridge.
In a statement, Northumbria Police said: “A body has sadly been found in the search for missing Northumberland man Liam.”
The force said concerns were raised after Liam failed to return home following a night out with friends.
Police added that they do not currently believe there was any third-party involvement and said a report would be prepared for the coroner.
“This is an extremely sad development, and our thoughts are very much with Liam’s family and friends,” the force said.
Officers also thanked partner agencies, volunteers and members of the public who had helped with the search or provided information.
Police asked people to respect the family’s privacy during what they described as a tragic time.
Two men arrested over bridge collision

While police have not confirmed his death tributes have been pouring in for Liam(Image: Jam Press)
A further police update revealed that two men, aged 22 and 23, were arrested in connection with a reported collision on Wylam Bridge shortly before Liam’s last known sighting.
Both men have since been released on police bail while further enquiries continue.
Police confirmed that Liam was on the bridge at the time of the collision.
However, they stressed that he was not an occupant of the vehicle, and there were no reports indicating that he was injured in the collision.
The circumstances surrounding the incident remain under investigation.
Community devastated by Liam’s death
News of the discovery has prompted an outpouring of grief from people in the local community.
One person described the loss as “incredibly sad”, expressing sympathy for Liam’s family, friends and colleagues.
Another said the Prudhoe area had been anxiously waiting for news since Liam disappeared and described the development as devastating.
Liam’s family, friends and colleagues are now being supported as the investigation continues.
Police have urged the public to respect the family’s privacy while officers work alongside the coroner to establish the full circumstances surrounding his death.