The fatal bungee jumping tragedy that claimed the life of a 21-year-old student has taken another dramatic turn after multiple instructors were formally charged. Investigators say critical mistakes were made before the jump, and reports claim some of those involved left the scene in the immediate aftermath.

Three bungee-jumping instructors have been charged in the death of 21-year-old Maria Eduarda Rodrigues de Freitas, who was thrown from a 130-foot bridge without a safety rope attached, as questions continue to surround a camera she was carrying during her final moments.

According to O Globo, six people were taken into custody and questioned following the fatal incident in Limeira, near São Paulo, on Saturday. Three instructors — Luis Felipe Feliciano Egoroff, 32, Vitor de Freitas Goncalves, 27, and Maicon Fernandes Cintra, 42 — were ultimately charged with homicide.

Portrait of Maria Eduarda Rodrigues de Freitas.

Authorities believe the three men were the instructors seen in a viral video lifting Rodrigues de Freitas before launching her from the 130-foot “Skeleton Bridge.” Moments later, she plunged to her death while the safety rope remained lying on the platform.

Two of the instructors reportedly fled after realizing what had happened as the victim’s fiancé watched in horror. They were later located in a nearby wooded area with the help of a military helicopter.

Deputy Andréa Dantas Levy told O Globo that two of the main suspects claimed they experienced a “blackout” and could not remember attaching the rope.

The "Skeleton Bridge" in Limeira, São Paulo, Brazil.

“They said they can’t remember where and when the fault occurred, who would have to have put it, and didn’t. The third, who held [her] legs, said he was only called in to help with the throw,” Levy said.

Three additional workers who had been distributing wristbands to customers from a tent near the jump site were questioned and later released.

Another mystery emerged after investigators learned Rodrigues de Freitas had been carrying a 360-degree camera before the jump. The device, which was reportedly rented from the unlicensed bungee-jumping company for an additional $30 on top of the $36 jump fee, was not found at the bottom of the bridge, according to Brazilian media reports.

El momento en el que una mujer fue accidentalmente lanzada

All three homicide suspects were placed in pretrial detention during a court hearing on Sunday. Judge Paulo Henrique Stahlberg Natal said detention was justified because the men had allegedly attempted to flee and because “their freedom could lead to the repetition of equally dangerous conduct.”

No date has been announced for their next court appearance. If convicted, they could face prison sentences ranging from six to 30 years.

Presos por morte de jovem arremessada de ponte têm prisão preventiva decretada - ACidade ON - Campinas

Rodrigues de Freitas was laid to rest on Sunday. Shortly before the jump, she shared an Instagram post from the bridge, writing, “Who was the crazy one who let me come jump off a bridge?”

The Skeleton Bridge, built about 30 years ago for a railway project that was never completed, has since become a popular destination for extreme sports enthusiasts.