KARMELO ANTHONY WAS SENTENCED TO 35 YEARS — BUT PROSECUTORS HAVE NOW REVEALED A TROVE OF EVIDENCE THE JURY NEVER SAW, INCLUDING WHAT HIS EX-GIRLFRIEND REPORTED JUST HOURS BEFORE AUSTIN METCALF’S DEATH.

Karmelo Anthony’s Appeal Hearing Reveals Evidence Jurors Never Heard Before Austin Metcalf Murder Conviction

Karmelo Anthony pictured with his dislocated shoulder.

Karmelo Anthony’s ex-girlfriend reported that he was stalking her hours before he stabbed Austin Metcalf, according to prosecutors.Instagram/Kala Hayes Anthony

A new hearing in Karmelo Anthony’s bid for another trial has brought previously excluded evidence into public view, including allegations involving his former girlfriend, messages about weapons and details from both Anthony’s and Austin Metcalf’s pasts that jurors were deliberately prevented from hearing.

Anthony, now 19, was convicted of murder in June 2026 and sentenced to 35 years in prison for fatally stabbing 17-year-old Metcalf during a high school track meet in Frisco, Texas, in April 2025. His self-defense argument was rejected by the jury.

But during an Aug. 20 hearing on Anthony’s motion for a new trial, Collin County Assistant District Attorney Bill Wirskye explained that the original proceedings had omitted a substantial amount of potentially inflammatory background evidence. The exclusion resulted from an informal agreement between prosecutors and the defense to keep the trial centered on what happened during the confrontation itself.

Prosecutor details allegations involving Anthony’s former girlfriend

Austin Metcalf in a black and yellow football jersey.
Anthony was convicted of stabbing Austin Metcalf to death at a track meet.GoFundMe
A folding knife with a black blade, gray handle, and metal clip, believed to be the weapon used by Karmelo Anthony, lies open on a striped surface.
The knife Karmelo Anthony used to fatally stab Austin Metcalf is seen in court documents.Collin County

Among the most striking information disclosed at the hearing concerned Anthony’s relationship with a former girlfriend.

According to prosecutors, she approached an assistant principal on April 2, 2025 — the same day Metcalf was killed — and reported concerns about Anthony following their breakup.

Wirskye told the court that she said Anthony was stalking her and was refusing to accept that their relationship had ended. Prosecutors also described concerns she had raised about his interest in fights and weapons.

The court also heard about a message Anthony allegedly sent to his former girlfriend accompanied by a photograph of a knife.

“I’m low key on the verge,” the message said.

Wirskye characterized Anthony at that point as “spiraling.”

Less than two hours after the former girlfriend reportedly spoke with a school official, Anthony fatally stabbed Metcalf during the track meet, according to additional reporting on the hearing.

None of that background was presented to the jury that ultimately convicted Anthony.

Why jurors never heard the evidence

Karmelo Anthony in a sleeveless shirt.

Karmelo Anthony pictured after being convicted and sentenced to 35 years in prison.Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice

The omission was not accidental.

Wirskye testified that prosecutors and Anthony’s original defense team had reached what has been described as a “gentleman’s agreement” before trial.

Under that arrangement, prosecutors would refrain from introducing damaging character evidence concerning Anthony. In return, the defense would not introduce aspects of Metcalf’s juvenile history, including racist graffiti.

Wirskye said he proposed keeping both teenagers’ historical character evidence outside the case so jurors could concentrate on the confrontation beneath the tent.

The decision also came against the backdrop of extraordinary public attention. Anthony is Black and Metcalf was white, and the killing generated extensive online discussion framed around race. Both sides nevertheless told jurors that race was not the reason for the confrontation.

The families of both teenagers also reported being subjected to harassment as national attention surrounding the case intensified.

What witnesses said happened at the track meet

Crime scene at a stadium with yellow police tape across the bleachers and a blue tarp covering a section.

The scene where Karmelo Anthony fatally stabbed Austin Metcalf is seen in court documents.Collin County

The underlying confrontation occurred during a high school track event involving several schools.

Anthony was sitting beneath a Memorial High School team tent positioned in the stadium bleachers. Witnesses testified that Metcalf and others repeatedly told him to leave.

The dispute escalated.

According to a police report cited in coverage of the case, Anthony reached inside a bag during the confrontation and warned Metcalf: “Touch me and see what happens.”

Witnesses said Metcalf subsequently pushed Anthony. Anthony then produced a knife and stabbed Metcalf in the chest. Prosecutors maintained that Anthony provoked the confrontation and was the aggressor, while his defense argued that he acted in self-defense.

Jurors ultimately sided with prosecutors, finding Anthony guilty of murder and sentencing him to 35 years.

The agreement is now part of Anthony’s challenge to the trial

The very arrangement intended to narrow the original case has now become relevant to Anthony’s attempt to secure another trial.

His new attorneys contend that problems with the June proceedings deprived him of a fair trial. Among their complaints are courtroom-access restrictions, allegedly improper jury instructions and disputes surrounding the agreement governing what evidence could be introduced.

The defense has also said the dispute over that agreement affected Anthony’s decision not to testify.

Attorney Russell Wilson went further during his opening statement at the Aug. 20 hearing, accusing the original court of operating what he called a “shadow docket,” referring to proceedings the defense says occurred outside normal public access.

The defense argues those procedures raise constitutional concerns about Anthony’s right to a public trial.

Prosecutors have defended the original proceedings. Before the appeal hearings, Wirskye said the jury had heard extensive evidence and returned a unanimous verdict, adding that prosecutors remained confident in both the verdict and the fairness of the trial.

Original judge removed from post-trial proceedings

Anthony secured a significant procedural victory one day before the new-trial hearing.

Judge John Roach Jr., who presided over the murder trial, was removed from handling the next phase of the case after Anthony’s attorneys challenged his continued involvement.

Part of their argument focused on a television interview Roach gave after the trial. Asked whether the jury had reached the correct result, Roach said it had.

Visiting Judge Sid Harle ultimately ordered Roach’s recusal. The ruling did not overturn Anthony’s conviction or grant him another trial; it instead removed Roach from deciding the post-trial dispute.

Retired District Court Judge Michael Chitty was assigned to consider Anthony’s motion for a new trial.

A case now focused on what happened outside the jury’s view

The new hearing has shifted attention from the evidence jurors considered to decisions made before and around the original trial.

At trial, jurors were asked to determine whether Anthony committed murder or acted in self-defense during the confrontation with Metcalf. They were intentionally not given the broader character evidence now being discussed publicly.

That included allegations concerning Anthony’s behavior toward his former girlfriend and his messages involving weapons. It also excluded damaging material concerning Metcalf’s juvenile history.

The agreement kept those competing histories away from a jury in an already intensely scrutinized case. Now Anthony’s new legal team is asking the court to examine whether the way that agreement and other trial procedures were handled contributed to an unfair proceeding.

Anthony remains convicted of murder and is serving his 35-year sentence while seeking a new trial. Judge Michael Chitty is now responsible for considering that request.