King Charles was reportedly informed only on Sunday that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing to return to Britain for an extended stay later this month, a development that will bring the Sussex family significantly closer to the Royal Family after six years based in the United States.
Harry, 41, and Meghan, 45, are understood to be returning with Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, who have already been enrolled at a British school.
While the King is said to welcome the opportunity to spend more time privately with his younger son and grandchildren, the Sussexes’ return will not change their position within the monarchy.
Charles welcomes family contact, but royal status remains unchanged

Harry and Meghan are expected to live in a private, non-royal residence when they return. The location of the property has not been disclosed for privacy reasons.
Charles is understood to be clear that the couple will continue as private individuals and non-working members of the Royal Family, consistent with their previously expressed wishes and the arrangements established following their departure from official royal duties.
Sources have similarly insisted that Harry and Meghan are not planning to return to the royal fold.
Questions may remain over whether circumstances could change in the future if the couple were to abandon their commercial activities, but there is currently no indication that they intend to resume full-time royal duties.
It is also not yet known whether their upcoming stay in Britain will ultimately become permanent.
Harry’s relationship with Charles had already begun to shift
The decision comes only a month after Harry reunited with his father during a visit to Britain in July.
Following his High Court loss against Associated Newspapers and an Invictus Games one-year-to-go event in Birmingham, Harry is understood to have visited Charles at Highgrove House in Gloucestershire.
Meghan, Archie and Lilibet also joined him.
The family gathering is believed to have marked the first time Charles had seen Archie and Lilibet since Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations in June 2022.
Following that reunion, sources close to Harry suggested that the Duke wanted to establish a more regular presence in Britain, potentially returning “every few months” over the following year.
His latest time in the U.K. and reunion with his father reportedly left him feeling “buoyed,” “very happy” and “really energised.”
A source previously told The Sunday Times that Harry wanted “more of a foothold” in Britain, including more frequent visits and less time consumed by legal battles.
“And he always loves seeing his family,” the source added.
Harry hopes Charles will attend the Invictus Games

Even before reports of the extended return emerged, Harry was already scheduled to spend time in Britain again in September for a week of engagements.
He has also reportedly been hoping that Charles will join him at next summer’s Invictus Games in Birmingham.
“Next year is a big deal for Harry,” a source told the Mirror. “He is determined the Birmingham Games will be the best ever. It would mean the world to him to have his father there.”
There has been no confirmation that the King will attend.
Harry has continued to speak warmly about spending time in Britain. During a recent visit to Warwickshire, he described being back in the country as a personal highlight.
“I love being here, this is the highlight of my month,” he said. “Actually probably the last few months.”
He also spoke about the importance of sharing grief and stress rather than dealing with those emotions alone.
Harry and Meghan have recently expressed a desire for Archie and Lilibet to become more familiar with their British roots, something that would become considerably easier if the children are now spending an extended period in the U.K.
Sussexes will keep their homes outside Britain
The entire family is believed to be returning within the next two weeks, meaning Harry and Meghan will no longer require the accommodation previously expected for their individual U.K. engagements and patronages.
Their new British residence will remain outside the royal estate, and its location is being kept private.
The move does not mean the Sussexes are abandoning their life in the United States.
Harry and Meghan intend to retain their £11 million home in Montecito, California, which has served as their primary residence since they relocated in 2020. They also own a property in Portugal.
For now, the duration of the family’s stay remains unclear. What appears settled, however, is that their return will be as a private family rather than as working representatives of the monarchy — even as it creates new opportunities for Harry, Archie and Lilibet to spend considerably more time close to King Charles.